VNC: Software development by design puts usability first
5 basic elements of modern software development
Zug, Switzerland, 30 January, 2023 – For users, the intuitive use of software is just as important and desirable as for companies – albeit for different motives. VNC describes the most important steps for developing user-friendly, usability-oriented software stacks.
The development of enterprise software is a complex business. Megatrends such as containerization, modularization or fluidity must be cast in a homogeneous, secure and intuitively usable software stack. In addition, there are technical requirements such as operating system and platform agnosticism or the adaptation to usability trends such as gamification and social media. They all need to be considered right from the beginning of the application design process. VNC, leading developer of open source-based enterprise applications, explains the most important steps for implementation.
- Feature definition and mock-up: In a modularized software stack, the first step is to define the features of the applications and coordinate them with each other. On this basis, software prototypes (mock-ups) are then created with high-precision positioning of the various control elements (pixel precise). This allows to test the usability of the software in practice.
- Storybook: Using the experience gained from mock-ups, it is possible to create the final functional descriptions and appearance of the overall application and individual modules in the form of a storybook. Among other things, it describes the structure of the interface and the final positioning of operating objects such as buttons, frames, list views or action wheels.
- Global components: They are used in a wide variety of applications. For greater usability, they should look and be positioned identically across the entire software stack. To achieve this, they are developed as reusable and universally applicable components (global components), which are then integrated identically into all applications and modules based on the storybook.
- Universality: The cross-app look and feel with identical control elements makes it possible to adapt the various modules of the software stack quickly and simultaneously to new design standards such as gamification or social media. If an element such as a button or a frame is changed, the new element is active in all modules at the same time, if desired.
- Hybrid design: Hybrid design allows applications to be developed independently of operating systems and platforms. Changes or enhancements in the modules are also immediately available regardless of the OS. This speeds up and simplifies the rollout of updates and upgrades enormously – also, the user experience is always congruent across all platforms.
„The usability requirements for software stacks and modules are subject to a rapid process of change,“ emphasizes Andrea Wörrlein, Managing Director of VNC in Berlin and member of the Board of VNC AG in Zug. „With traditional tools and processes, they can be implemented neither quickly nor efficiently enough. The principle of software by design puts the users, their wishes and their experiences at the center of software development with the goal of making the use of apps and modules as simple, efficient and enjoyable as possible.“
VNC – Virtual Network Consult AG, based in Switzerland, Germany and India, is a leading developer of open source-based enterprise applications and positions itself as an open and secure alternative to the established software giants. With VNClagoon, the organization with its global open source developer community has created an integrated product suite for enterprises, characterized by high security, state-of-the-art technology and low TCO. VNC’s customers include system integrators and telcos as well as large enterprises and institutions. Further information on https://vnclagoon.com, on Twitter @VNCbiz and on LinkedIn.
VNC – Virtual Network Consult AG
Tel.: +41 (41) 727 52 00